Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Comfort in a Cup

You may find it hard to believe, but I've never made or eaten vanilla pudding before.  I can't say why, I just always made chocolate or caramel. It seems that a year ( well, maybe it's a lifetime ) supply of vanilla has inspired me to try something new. 
Now that I've made it and ate it - oh, and I I had to wrestle my Mike for the last cup - I ask myself  " How is it possible? "
& "How did I manage to survive with out this ?" Vanilla pudding is under rated. It delicious. It definitely rivals creme brulee.

 

I used a combo of a few different recipes and lucky for me, it turned out creamy and sweet and light.
This is it:

Creamy Vanilla Pudding

In a suacepan over medium heat stir together:

3/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup corm starch

Whisk in:

2 cups milk
1 cup light cream

Stir constantly till hot and steamy but don't let it boil - about 2 or 3 minutes.
Remove from heat and add 1 cup of the hot milk mixture to

2 large eggs, lightly stirred with a fork

Back on the heat, stir egg mixtue back into the milk mixture,
stirring constanly thill thick, about 5 minutes or so.
Remove from heat and add

1 tbsp vanilla

Pour into cups and chill. Garnish with fresh fruit if you like.
A skin forms on the top if you don't cover closely with plastic wrap.

Try it - you'll like it! Honest.
<3
What's your favorite under rated comfort food?








4 comments:

  1. That looks so yummy!!
    Thank you for sharing!!!
    Suzann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes I love vanilla pudding!
    Your on a vanilla mission lol !!
    Pamela :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love vanilla pudding, but Karen, you didn't share any with me ;-) LOVE YA The blueberries look scruptious ME xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! Vanilla is my favorite flavor - even for ice cream (but it has to be good vanilla, not the cheap stuff). My theory is that vanilla lovers have more sophisticated taste buds ;)

    ReplyDelete